Thursday 22 November 2012

Thursday 23rd

What a failure! I couldn't even find a Song Thrush at Brandon this morning to push the list up to 125. The previous two days had been more successful. On Tuesday, in the drizzle, I had a quick spin out to Northampton and Rutland. Eyebrook was the first stop, surprised to not find any Tree Sparrows on the feeding station but relieved to find the Great Northern Diver fishing by the dam. Considering the weather I would have been astounded if the Little Owl was sitting in it's usual tree--- it wasn't.
So it was back to Pitsford, still in the drizzle, there a good flock of Tree Sparrows were in the bushes around the feeding station and a Great White Egret was roosting in a tree in the corner of Holcot Bay. A three bird trip.
Wednesday when it eventually stopped raining went up to Brandon to try and track down a Tawny Owl. Before any owl action saw and heard a Willow Tit just before Carlton Hide and then watched as the Smew went to sleep and a Bittern flew in and roosted. The Starling roost was a bit of a damp squib but a female Tawny Owl started calling about 5 and gave me my third bird of the afternoon.
I'm off to Morocco tomorrow so that is the end of the sponsored birdwatch with a total of 124 birds in Movember. I'll attempt to blog my final mug shot whilst there and any interesting birds that I happen to  bump into.

0 comments: