Saturday 3 November 2012

November 3rd

Saturday

Still not enough growth to waste an image yet. The birdwatching went well today and the total marches on, I've now seen 55 species. I'm trying to focus on some of the rarer ones assuming that I will bump into the common stuff as I wander around. So today was what some people call twitching. A trip to the Somerset coast saw me watching a Hoopoe pushing its absurd beak into the sandy soil in an attempt to find food. What it was doing here when it should have left Southern Europe for the warmth of Africa beats me. Then it was over to Chew to see whether I could find the rare American ducks that look as though they might spend the winter with us. With all of these strong westerly winds it is easy to see how they ended up here and yes I did find the Lesser Scaup and Ring-billed Duck. They were both hiding amongst the throng of common Tufted Ducks that were there in their hundreds. The most unexpected sighting was a Swallow flying low over the water trying to find some food for its journey south.
We are off to London for a couple of days of culture so no more blogging until Tuesday when I might have worked out how to transfer my picture of the Hoopoe to the site. It is amazing how quickly you forget things if you don't keep repeating them, especially when you are advanced in years!!

0 comments: